APLB Online Pet Loss Grief Specialist Training
The Pet Loss Grief Specialist training program will be offered two times a year. This 8-week intensive training is facilitated by leaders in the organization and aims to provide background information on effective practices for engaging in pet loss work. This training program does not prepare individuals to provide professional counseling services to individuals. Please review pertinent licensing laws for counseling professionals in your area for more information on educational requirements.
This training program is open to dues-paid members only. Announcements for program registration and procedures will be sent out via email to members and included in the Winter Newsletter. The cost of the course will be $ 425.00 US.
Students in this course do not need to have a veterinary or mental health background, but rather a desire to help others through their grief process after the loss of an animal companion/fur family member. Students who complete the course will be eligible to assist in the pet loss chatrooms under supervision of the Chat Host.
Requirements. Students must:
- Have access to the Internet (unrestricted) and have a computer with a Webcam (or other ways to video conference);
- Have a GMail Account with an @gmail.com email address;
- Have a working knowledge and proficiency in the English language (or a reliable translation software);
- Be able to commit roughly 10 hours a week to the training content;
- Be able to attend at least 2 different chatrooms during the 8-week period; and
- Have a passion for guiding people through their grief.
Content by Week:
Week 1: Overview of Pet Loss Grief Specialist Work
Week 2: The Human Animal Bond
Week 3: Overview of Models of Grief
Week 4: Types of Grief and Loss
Week 5: Helping Others through Pet Loss
Week 6: Loss in Special Populations
Week 7: Pet Loss and Spirituality
Week 8: Aftercare Support
We will take the next several months to review and enhance this course, and will offer it again in January 2021. We look forward to receiving your application in December 2020. For more information, please CLICK HERE to Contact Us