We continue to build and redevelop the Pet Loss Grief Specialist course and are excited to roll it out in the coming months.
Below you will find the new structure and minimum requirements for enrolling in the course.
As with many revisions, we are pushing back the enrollment period for the new Pet Loss Grief Specialist Course from February 2021, to March 2021. This will ensure that our course has met the requirements for continuing education and our high standards for this work.
- The Pet Loss Grief Specialist training program will be offered two times a year. This 8-week intensive training is facilitated by leaders in the organization and aims to provide background information on effective practices for engaging in pet loss work. This training program does not prepare individuals to provide professional counseling services to individuals. Please review pertinent licensing laws for counseling professionals in your area for more information on educational requirements.
- This training program is open to dues-paid members only. Announcements for program registration and procedures will be sent out via email to members and included in the Winter Newsletter. The cost of the course will be $ 425.00 US.
- Students in this course do not need to have a veterinary or mental health background, but rather a desire to help others through their grief process after the loss of an animal companion/fur family member. Students who complete the course will be eligible to assist in the pet loss chatrooms under supervision of the Chat Host.
Requirements. Students must:
- Have access to the Internet (unrestricted) and have a computer with a Webcam (or other ways to video conference);
- Have a GMail Account with an @gmail.com email address;
- Have a working knowledge and proficiency in the English language (or a reliable translation software);
- Be able to commit roughly 10 hours a week to the training content;
- Be able to attend at least 2 different chatrooms during the 8-week period; and
- Have a passion for guiding people through their grief.
Content by Week:
- Week 1: Overview of Pet Loss Grief Specialist Work
- Week 2: The Human Animal Bond
- Week 3: Overview of Models of Grief
- Week 4: Types of Grief and Loss
- Week 5: Helping Others through Pet Loss
- Week 6: Loss in Special Populations
- Week 7: Pet Loss and Spirituality
- Week 8: Aftercare Support